fish market

Now you can be part of the Ornamental Fish Market!

Many people know that a great way to reduce stress and anxiety is to watch multicolored fish swimming in aquariums, whether in their homes or elsewhere. What most people are unaware of is that these small fishes, not very important at first sight, earn millions of dollars in a serious and sustainable way to the countries that catch or grow them.

In the United States, one in three residences has an aquarium. In Japan, this proportion is even greater: every two houses, one owns a decoration aquarium. But these fish are not just a hobby, the commercialization in thousands of stores around the world has turned into a great deal disputed by many markets. Brazil integrates the world trade in ornamental fish moving approximately US$1 billion from Acará Bandeira (Pterophyllum scalare) and capture in rivers, lagoons and oceans.

The market for ornamental fish is not simple for beginners. It is necessary to have previous knowledge about care and also with government requirements. The creation of ornamental fish, besides being highly regulated, requires specialized knowledge mainly in the habitat of fish, because they need to reproduce their natural environment with the same temperature and constant oxygenation. It is necessary to know deeply about the aquaculture of the species with which it intends to work, since each one has its particularity of management, climate, water temperature, type of food. But if an entrepreneur wants to devote himself to this market, he will be satisfied. According to the Ministry of Fisheries and Aquaculture (MPA), the export of these animals earned US$ 10.5 million for Brazilian breeders, only in 2013. Before 2013, between 2007 and 2012, the average unit value for sales grew 744%.

And it seems that Brazil has dive right in this market and, by the way, is succeeding! Currently, there are 4800 commercial ornamental fish breeders, 80% of whom are in the rural area, with tanks of 3,000m² and others of up to 10,000m². The other 20%, located in the city, are much smaller, with a maximum of 200 m². The most wanted species are the betta, the discus, the guppy, the kinguio, the golden carps and the acará-disc. These beautiful littles fishes can cost from $0.50 to, in rare cases, $10,000.

The buyers of these exotic fishes here in Brazil, ends up changing. Most of them are pet shops (50% in São Paulo), that buy to resell to customers who own aquariums of different sizes. In addition to the pet shops, there is also demand from commercial ventures — shops, offices and restaurants that buy fish for decoration — and collectors. In Brazil, the breeders are located particularly in the area of the forest in the state of Minas Gerais. They get good returns, mainly because sales can happen quickly, in three months after spawning, even with many breeders using little technology and often not knowing the best care for fishes. And how will it be for those who adopt more sophisticated techniques? It is possible to be much more successful in this market if bet on the improvement of the fish, even with selected crosses and investment in the genetic improvement, being able to develop species.

Around the world, the most cultivated species are the freshwater fish from the family Cyprinidae, also known as the colored carp Cyprinus Carpio (Nichikigoi variety) and the Goldfish Carassius Auratus. With the magnificent work of the Japanese with the species Carassius Auratus since 1957, the market can count on a wide variety of types for the immediate consumption of aquarium lovers. Among the most common are: tail-of-veil, telescope, dandelion, pompom, red-kep and others.

There are a few isolated cases of fish breeders much appreciated by aquarists, such as the breeding project of clownfish Aphiprion spp that lives in the Indo-Pacific ocean. Since this “hobby” ended up growing all over the world, most of the marine species traded come from crops and collections in other countries. But some marine aquaculture programs are not advantageous, for example, reproducing species of corals, because the sea has still been very generous in the supply of these fish. But if you want to enter this market, if you need to know suppliers, need to buy or want to sell, simply access the page of ornamental fish and tropical fish in B2Brazil that will see the best offers for the wholesale ornamental fish market.

And now? Are you ready to dive right in into this market and discover an ocean of opportunities?

Leave a Reply